Social media can be so hit and miss. A burden, a distraction, a perceived waste of time. Or so those would be the common misconceptions for businesses today failing to see it’s unbelievable ability to build brand awareness, generate leads and retain loyal customers.
Social media should be leveraged as a digital marketing powerhouse for your business. As a collective set of channels – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, et al. – are the platforms of choice when billions of people go online. They have fundamentally changed the landscape of how people interact, engage and make purchase decisions for anything, anywhere, anytime. They narrow the competitive advantage of the big brands vs. smaller companies.
Here are 10 killer social media stats for the channels that REALLY matter to your business, why you should seriously consider using them within your web marketing strategy, and how effective they can be.
- Worldwide, there are over 1.86 billion active monthly Facebook users, which is a 17% increase year on year. It has seen staggering, consistent growth.
- Facebook is the most widely used social media platform in the world, with 79% of Americans using the platform, 68% of whom are adults.
- Further demographic breakdown sees a worldwide audience of 83% females and 75% of male active users of Facebook.
- As of December 2016 there were 1.15 billion active mobile users daily. An increase of 23% year on year. Mobile usage of Facebook has exploded.
- As a business, the best days for engagement are Thursdays and Fridays. When engagement is 18% higher (on average) than other days.
- Every 60 seconds on Facebook, 510,000 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded.
- Facebook has a strong ‘seniors’ presence, with 56% of those aged 65+, and 63% of those aged 50-64 on the network.
- “Facebook Live Stream” search popularity has risen over 330% since its rollout in Feb 2016. This is an increasingly popular marketing tactic.
- Ad prices on Facebook have been increased by 247% as it becomes more popular, with over 2 million businesses now using Facebook for advertising.
- Over 120 million hours of video content is watched on Facebook daily, creating native experiences for people to see companies in a new light.
- Instagram is the 2nd most popular social media channel with 32% of Internet users on the platform. This has grown rapidly since 2015.
- In 2017, 70.7% of American companies will use Instagram for marketing. This edges out Twitter for the first time, increasing its status as the No.2 platform.
- The best time to post on Instagram for the most engagement is at 5PM on Wednesdays. Though with any such stat audience ‘activity timing’ is key.
- Instagram posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement than those without, as people know what they want and how to find it.
- Most Instagram users are between 18-29, and is a go-to platform for marketing to them, however six-in-ten online adults use the platform too.
- 51% of Instagram users access the platform daily, and 35% say they look at it several times per day.
- Instagram earns $595 million in mobile ad revenue per year, a rapidly increasing number as it becomes an attractive marketing channel for ROI.
- There are over 8 million registered businesses using Instagram business profiles. This number has grown 250% in the past 2 years.
- Instagram has 1 million monthly active advertisers – up from just 200,000 in March 2016. A statistic that suggests it is no ‘flash in the pan’.
- In March 2017, over 120 million Instagrammers visited a website, got directions, called, emailed, or messaged a business based on an Instagram ad.
- 36% of online Americans aged 18-29 use Twitter, more than any other age group. Usage drops as age increases, i.e. just 10% use Twitter aged 65+.
- There’s no statistical difference between males (24%) and females (25%) using Twitter, but it is used more than 65% by those earning over $75,000.
- 62% of surveyed Twitter users installed an app in the last month. Previously the figure was 56% with the rise being consistent over the previous 12 months.
- The majority of Twitter users (71%) say they use Twitter multiple times per day for news, educational and social purposes, and keeping up with brands.
- An average tweet with an image receives 211 engagements, while a tweet without an image receives only 31 engagements. Visual content is key.
- Twitter users send 6000 tweets per second. 500 million per day and engage with other users 68% of the time.
- 82% of Twitter users access the network on mobile platforms, while only 39% do so on a desktop. A massive 90% of Twitter video views come from mobile.
- 86% say they use the network to ‘stay updated with news’, with nearly 75% of those doing so every day. 64% also share news on the network.
- 94% of Twitter users purchase from an SMB they follow. With 69% having purchased from a business because of something they saw on the network.
- 93% of organizations use Twitter as part of their marketing strategy, with 63.5% of marketers voted it the 2nd best social media platform for ROI.
- LinkedIn boasts more than 450 million user profiles. 128 million Americans (40.1% of population) use the network.
- The average LinkedIn user spends 17 minutes on the site per month, using the platform for professional networking, engagement with peers and industry.
- On LinkedIn, 98% of posts with images receive more comments, and posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rate.
- 160,000 long-form posts are published on LinkedIn per week, and over 19.7 million SlideShare presentations are currently uploaded on the platform.
- 64% of social referrals to a company’s website come from LinkedIn. This compares favorably to any other platform, i.e. Facebook is 2nd with only 17%.
- Traffic from LinkedIn generates the highest visitor-to-lead conversion rate (2.74%). The social media average conversion rate is only 0.98%.
- Updates containing links get up to 45% higher follower engagement. While images get a massive 98% more comments and reaction.
- Studies show that 80% of B2B leads come from LinkedIn, and 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content related to their business.
- 46% of social media traffic coming to B2B websites is from LinkedIn. With 80% of all B2B social media leads coming the platform too.
- Although LinkedIn is a free service, almost 40% pay for the Premium service that the social network provides.
- On any given day, Snapchat reaches 41% of 18-34 year olds in America. While 60% of all smartphone users are on the platform daily.
- Over 400 million snaps are shared on Snapchat every day, and almost 9,000 photos are shared every second.
- With a 72% adoption rate, Snapchat is the most-used social media platform among 12-24 year olds.
- Snapchat’s daily video views have increased 400% year on year, with now 10 billion videos watched per day. This is an increase of 350% since 2015.
- An estimated 150 million people now use Snapchat, which for the first time eclipses Twitter (140 million active users).
- Snapchat ads are viewed up to a million times per day, with brands spending an average of $750,000 per day to advertise on the platform.
- A Geofilter delivered to a national audience will typically be seen by 40% to 60% of daily Snapchat users.
- 58% of college students would be likely to purchase a brand’s product or service if they were sent a coupon on Snapchat.
- Vertical videos are viewed 9 times more than horizontal videos on Snapchat. Showing the importance of providing native, mobile optimized content.
- With the majority of Snapchat users aged 18-34 this demographic may be less brand loyal and more likely to follow trends than other demographics.
- Incredibly, YouTube overall – and even YouTube on mobile alone – reaches more 18-49 year olds than any cable TV network in the America.
- Just 10 thousand YouTube videos have generated more than 1 billion views, with more than half of all YouTube views coming from mobile devices.
- By December 2017, online video will account over over 75% of all online traffic. With 50% of Internet users watching YouTube videos every day.
- Among millennials, YouTube accounts over two-thirds of all premium online video content watched across all devices.
- YouTube now has over 1 billion active users, with 4 million videos viewed per day. Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users.
- 48% of marketers plan to add YouTube to their content strategy in the next year, with 52% saying video is the best type of content for ROI.
- The number of channels earning six figures each year on YouTube has increased by 50% year on year.
- Viewers who watched a TrueView ad for 30 seconds or more were 23x more likely to visit a website, subscribe to a channel or share a brand video.
- Viewers who are exposed to TrueView ads but don’t watch to completion are still 10x more likely to take one of those actions.
- YouTube searches for “how to” videos has grown 70% year on year. Thus, catering to the inquisitive mind is becoming a highly popular marketing tactic.
- Pinterest has over 150 million monthly active users. More than 80 million Pinterest users currently reside outside of America.
- As more than half of Pinterest users are ‘international’, currently 75% of new subscribers are signing up from Europe, Asia and South America.
- 93% of Pinterest users actively use the platform to plan for, or make a purchase.
- Pinterest drives 25% of all retail website referral traffic. This is triple that of Facebook and 10x more than any other social media platform.
- Currently, 75% of active Pinterest users browse the platform on their mobile devices, with over 90% interacting ‘on-the-go’.
- It is reported that 87% of Pinterest users have made a purchase because they saw it on Pinterest. 72% visit a site from Pinterest to research what to buy offline.
- 93% of Pinterest users use the site to plan out purchases. While 47% of pinners discover brands on Pinterest as opposed to other social networks.
- More than 5% of traffic to websites is driven by Pinterest. This may appear small, but is significant as, amongst social platforms, only Facebook drives more.
- Pinterest is currently the 2nd highest referrer of traffic to Shopify eCommerce stores, and is consistently the best social media platform for driving traffic to any retail based eCommerce store.
- Promoted pins result in a 7x higher spend compared to traditional marketing. Pinners who see promoted pins are 40% more aware of brands and products and 50% more likely to make a purchase.
In short, choosing to use social media as a key marketing strategy should no longer be a decision. It’s simply too important to ignore. But what is important is choosing the right platform for your target market, the demographics that you want as customers. From there it’s about grabbing their attention and appealing to their needs with social media content that inspires them to take action.
As the above stats show, each social media platform is an incredibly popular and competitive space. Hopping on board is one thing, making it work quite another. But as the above clearly shows, if you choose wisely the fruits of the forest are bountiful.